Jan 28, 2010

You cannot be serious

Disclaimer: all names have been changed to protect the galactically stupid.

A facebook friend of mine posted a status message today. It seems her teenager is taking biology. Here is the message:

"Lisa is really getting pounded with evolutionary garbage in biology class... What a great dinner time discussion!"

Before I could censor myself, I commented, "Really? REALLY? Because I could give you 100 examples of organisms alive today that clearly demonstrate evolution in action." I went back about 10 minutes later and deleted it. I don't need to pick fights on facebook, and my comment will not have any effect in changing this person's mind anyway. It's like trying to walk a cat on a leash. It doesn't work, and it just pisses off the cat.

This woman literally believes that Adam and Eve, Noah, and all that repopulate the Earth crap is real.  I have always been a fan of science. Organisms either evolve with their environment, they migrate to a more suitable environment, or they take a dirt nap.  That includes us.

I had an articulate blog written about this subject, but my browser crashed, and it's gone.  I don't feel like rewriting it now.  Suffice to say that I am grateful that scientists actually use the scientific method instead of jumping to conclusions, and I am grateful that my friend and her ilk have no say in our state's educational standards.

Why don't you give me some of YOUR thoughts on evolutionary biology...

1 comment:

Text, Drugs, Rock n Roll said...

I believe in evolution. Dinosaurs aren't some sick joke made up by scientists.